Senior Scholarship Page
SENIOR SCHOLARSHIPSScholarships of interest, websites, and ones sent to us (listed by date due)___________________________________________________________________________________________________Scholarships of Interest: Frequently asked about scholarships (description and website links) that are not posted below.(NOTE: J.C. Duncan Lion's Student Loan is no longer available - it has been discontinued.)___________________________________________________________________________________________________Scholarship Websites: Websites devoted to providing additional scholarship opportunities.___________________________________________________________________________________________________Scholarship and Financial Aid Scams Information - From the Federal Trade Commission.______________________________________________________________________________________________________________Scholarships Made Available to Newfane HS During the School Year*All scholarships are listed by the application deadline!!! Must plan/check ahead.* E-Alert Availability for Students/Parents: When new scholarships are posted/added to this webpage, you can receive an E-Alert notifying you of this action. If interested, follow the sign-up instructions- E-Alert Sign-up._______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________September:
October:Oct. 31- Niagara University "Eagle Experience" Scholarship - $1500 scholarship for incoming freshman. Just attend an in-person or virtual admisions event then connect with an NU admissions counselor and then apply by Oct. 31. Easy money if you end up attending NU next fall. Admission events list and counselor tab on website for easy viewing.Oct. 31- VFW Voice of Democracy Essay Competition - Grand prize is $30,000. The Voice of Democracy is open to students in grades 9-12 by the Oct. 31 deadline who are enrolled in a public private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States, its territories and possessions; or dependents of U.S. military or civilian personnel in overseas schools. Record your original 3-5 minute (+ or – 5 seconds max.) audio essay and submit the recording, typed essay and completed entry form to your school/group competition or local VFW Post for judging. In addition you can submit your emailed entry form, essay, and audio
file to the VFW Post upon approval. You must be the sole author of your essay. The recording must be in your own voice and in English.
December:Dec. 1 - Canisius College "Visit and Apply Grant" - $2000/yr. up to 4 yrs. (total of $8000) if you meet with a Canisius College Admissions person (see website for more details) and apply by Dec. 1. Easy money if you end up attending Canisius next fall.Dec. 15 (preferred deadline but final deadline=Jan. 15) - St. John Fisher College First Generation Scholarship - Recipients receive yearly awards of one-half the total cost of tuition and room and board. The First Generation Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to high school students who exhibit a high degree of motivation and academic potential, and whose parents did not graduate from college.Dec. 31 - Free Speech Essay Contest - Scholarship award for high school seniors and juniors. Write a 700-900 word essay to win a $10,000 first place prize, $5,000 second place or three $1,000 third place prizes. See website for essay topic.January:January- St. John Fisher College/Gilder Lehrman Scholarship in American History - $5000 award for students with an interest in pursuing studies in history. No application: Students will be selected for the scholarship by St. John Fisher College’s Office of Student Financial Services in cooperation with the History Department and the Admissions Office based on the criteria established. Students with interest in the scholarship can reach out to Student Financial Services, specifically Marie Fico, Director of Student Financial Services, at 585-385-8324 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Jan. 14 (was extended from Jan. 7 to Jan. 14) - Ontario Shores Fed. Credit Union Scholarship - $1000 scholarship for a college-bound graduating senior from Newfane. All applicants must be members of Ontario Shores FCU. Application is entirely online. Despite the online deadline of Jan. 7, we were notified that the application will remain open/available until the end of the following week - Jan. 14 last day to be able to access. If students are having trouble accessing the online application after Jan. 7 and by Jan. 14 - please see Mr. Smith in guidance.Jan. 14 - Niagara County 4-H Scholarships - The Niagara County 4-H Scholarships are available online. All enrolled, active 4-H members should be able to view the Clover Scene for Jan. The information is on the front page. The scholarships are fillable and due Jan 14. The in person interview is scheduled for the morning of Feb 5.Jan. 15 - Gettysburgh College Eisenhower Scholarship - A competitive scholarship worth $40,000 per year for accepted students. Students must complete the scholarship application and Common Application to Gettyburgh by Jan. 15 to be considered.Jan. 15 - Gettysburgh College Gilder Lehrman History Scholarship - Two $5000 scholarships available for accepted students who are interested in the study of history at Gettysburgh College. Scholarship and Common Application deadline is Jan. 15.February:Feb. - FASNY HELP Tuition Reimbursement Program - Firemen's Association of the State of NY HELP “Student-Volunteers” are eligible to have up to 100% of their tuition reimbursed (with any single semester award not to exceed $1,500) in exchange for maintaining defined grades and fulfilling established service requirements in one of New York’s volunteer fire companies. There is no restriction on the type of academic course(s) the FASNY HELP student-volunteer can pursue. To participate in FASNY HELP you must be an active volunteer firefighter in good standing. Student-volunteers must re-apply each semester they with to participate in FASNY HELP.
Please note that this program will only be accepting 100 participants and if more than 100 applications are received, the finalists will be chosen by random lottery.Feb. 1 - Rochester Institute of Technology Disability Leadership and Scholarship Program - $10,000 scholarships for 10 students who self-identify as members of the Disability and/or Deaf community, and who demonstrate strong leadership skills and commitment to equity and justice for the Disability community. Students selected for this opportunity should be particularly invested in disability, equity, and social justice. Awards will be made to selected students after acceptance to RIT.Feb. 11 - Zonta Club of Lockport Scholarship - Must be a female student, aged 16-19 yrs. old, who is active in volunteerism and with leadership experience.Feb. 28 (postmarked by date) - Character Council of WNY Scholarship - $1000 scholarships to college or trade school bound WNY graduating seniors. Must exemplify character in their daily lives.Feb. 28 - NYWEA Scholarships - The New York Water Environment Association is offering several scholarships for students attending college for Environmental degrees.March:Mar. - FASNY HELP Tuition Reimbursement Program - Firemen's Association of the State of NY HELP “Student-Volunteers” are eligible to have up to 100% of their tuition reimbursed (with any single semester award not to exceed $1,500) in exchange for maintaining defined grades and fulfilling established service requirements in one of New York’s volunteer fire companies. There is no restriction on the type of academic course(s) the FASNY HELP student-volunteer can pursue. To participate in FASNY HELP you must be an active volunteer firefighter in good standing. Student-volunteers must re-apply each semester they with to participate in FASNY HELP.
Please note that this program will only be accepting 100 participants and if more than 100 applications are received, the finalists will be chosen by random lottery.March 14 - Niagara Orleans Counselors Association (NOCA) Scholarships - The Niagara Orleans Counselors Association (NOCA) is offering seven different scholarships for graduating college-bound seniors ranging in value from $400 to $6000. Students can apply to more than one scholarship with the application, just be sure to include all the required information for each scholarship. Each Niagara-Orleans High School forwards select entries to a scholarship committee. The scholarship committee will make final winner selections. The guidance office will attach your transcript and report card and then will sign the form in section "E) NOCA Member Signature" .Mar. 15 - FASNY Gerard J. Buckenmeyer Volunteer Scholarships - Twenty five $1,500 cholarships available for eligible volunteer firefighters' children.
- Be a member in good standing with FASNY or have a parent/legal guardian who is a member.
- Attend high school as a senior who is enrolled in the fall 2022 school year at an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher learning or an accredited technical post-secondary school.
- Serve as a current Junior firefighter, Explorer Scout or RAM in a group affiliated with a volunteer department; a volunteer firefighter; or a volunteer with an EMS unit.
- Demonstrate a commitment to both volunteer emergency service and the community.
- Please note – your fire company’s membership in FASNY does not automatically make an individual a member of FASNY. Eligibility for this program requires current individual membership in FASNY.
Mar. 15 - 8th District Federated Garden Clubs of NYS $1000 Stipend - Must be a graduating senior from one of five WNY counties (includes Niagara) and must be planning on going to college majoring in one of the following areas of study: Agriculture, Botany, Conservation, Environmental Science, Forestry, Horticulture, Land Management, Landscape Design, Wildlife Science or a field related to the above list. Electronic applications will not be considered.Mar. 25 (postmarked by date): NCCC Distinguished Student Scholarship - Two years tuition-free education at NCCC.1. Applicant must be graduating from a Niagara County high school (includes Homeschool) with a Regents (or Adv. Regents) diploma in June 2022 with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B (83-85%) weighted average.
2. Applicant must be planning to enroll as a full-time matriculated student at NCCC for the fall semester of the year the award is issued.
3. Applicant must have previous volunteer community service and demonstrated involvement in high school activities (Include in essay).
4. Applicant must provide assurance that he or she plans to remain in or return to Niagara County after completion of his/her education and future volunteer commitments.5. Includes an essay.Mar. 31 (postmarked by date) - Kenan Arts Council Scholarship - $1000 scholarship available to college-bound graduating students from Newfane, Barker, Lockport, Niagara-Wheatfield, Roy-Hart, Starpoint, or Wilson. Students must intend to major in fine art, design, theater, dance, or music. Applicants should meet high academic standards and be actively involved in extracurricular and community activities. Applicants must have achieved a high school average of at least 80%.Mar. 31 - NYS Grand Lodge Foundation Order Sons of Italy in America Scholarship - Must be a college-bound graduating senior in a NYS high school who is visually impaired or legally blind plus be of Italian descent/heritage.April:April 1- Olivia's Bears-Jessica Stone Memorial Scholarship - Two $500 scholarships available. Must be a college-bound senior (or current college student) who is a survivor of a life-threatening illness or is currently diagnosed with an illness. The applicant does not have to be currently receiving treatment to qualify. For more background information regarding the scholarship, please visit: https://www.oliviasbears.com/jessica-stone-memorial-scholarship/April 1 - NCCC Foundation Scholarships - Many scholarships available for students planning to attend NCCC. See website for list of scholarships and how to apply online.April 1 - Niagara County Assessors Association Scholarship - $1000 scholarship for a graduating Niagara County senior who plans to attend a NYS college or university in the fall of 2022.April 1 - Lockport Elks Lodge Rodney Conrad Memorial Scholarship - Several $1000 scholarships available for students planning on majoring in the following areas: 4 year degree programs in: Education, engineering, sciences, humanities, business, accounting, and mathematics. Also available for students majoring in 2 year degree programs in law enforcement (ie. criminal justice, etc.).Apr. 1 - She's In the Game Scholarship - Must be a college-bound FEMALE athlete. NOTE: DEADLINE IS APRIL 1. Disregard March 1 deadline date listed on page 2 (Mar. 1 is incorrect!)Apr. 7 - Agnes Clarke Brown Scholarship - Administered by the Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo. Eligibility: Must rank in the top 15% of the graduating senior class (rank in the top 21 students of the Class of 2022), must be college-bound (plan to attend college full time at an accredited college or university), and must have resided, and been a student, within the Newfane Central School District for at least 5 yrs. prior (additional eligibility requirements attached). Students must return the one page application to Mr. Smith in guidance by Apr. 7. Students must submit the UnMet Need form to the financial aid office of the college they plan to attend. The UnMet Need form must be completed by the financial aid office and returned to Mr. Smith by Apr. 22. Minimum award is $1600 per year up to 4 years. Both the application and UnMet Need form must be received by the deadlines to be considered. The Newfane High School Scholarship Committee will make the final selection based on financial need. NOTE: The top ranked 15% of the senior class have already been personally given application packets to review and see if they meet all the scholarship criteria and to apply if they are eligible and interested. All eligible students can download the scholarship application packet in the provided link if needed.Apr. 13 (postmarked by) - Western Chapter of the NY Environment Association Scholarship - Three scholarships available. Must be a graduating senior from WNY planning to enroll in an environmentally related curriculum such as, but not limited to: Biology, forestry, chemistry, engineering, and water/ wastewater treatment.Apr. 15 - WNY Association of School Nurses Memorial Scholarship - Must be a graduating senior from Niagara or Erie County accepted into an accredited BS school of nursing program in NY State (BSN programs are 4 yr. programs - not NCCC, ECC or Trocaire which are two year Associate's Degree programs).Apr. 15 - Niagara County Sheriff's Office Victim Services Scholarship - $250 scholarship available for one senior student in Niagara County. Student must write a short essay regarding an experience with victimization that they, or someone close to them, has been impacted by.Apr. 15 - We the Students Scholarship - Several scholarships available ranging from 47500 to $500. National essay contest for students in grades 8-12 (ages 14 to 19). Grand prize is a $7500 scholarship plus a scholarship to the Constitutional Academy 5 day summer program.Apr. 15 - Mental Health Association of Niagara County Justin Budwey Memorial Scholarship - $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a Niagara County High School senior who is entering and/or returning to a higher education institute ("college") and who plans on working in the field of Human Services. (some examples of human service positions: therapists/counselors/psychologists, social worker, rehab/substance abuse counselor, probation officer, occupational therapists, mental health nurse, etc.)Apr. 22 - Newfane Board of Education Scholarship - Up to three $500 scholarships available to graduating seniors from Newfane High School. Selection based on academics, extracurricular activites, athletics, work experience, statement of future plans, and essay responses.Apr. 22 - Zonta Club of Lockport Scholarships - Three separate scholarships available (ranging in award money from $500 to $2000). Must be a college-bound graduating senior FEMALE from an Eastern Niagara County high school (includes Newfane HS). Students only need to complete one application and they will be considered for all scholarships that they are eligible for.Apr. 25 - Town of Lockport Outstanding Youth Award - Two $1000 awards, offered by the Town of Lockport Recreation Commission, to graduating seniors who reside in the Town of Lockport and exemplify the idea of a community-minded individual. Must also have an overall average of 85% or higher.Apr. 27 - Marnie Currie Quinones Scholarship - $1000 scholarship to a graduating senior FEMALE student from Newfane Senior High School. Also, must have at least a “B” average (80% or greater), be planning on attending college (2 or 4 yr.), and be involved in extracurricular activities such as, but not limited to: Athletics (can be school-based or community-based athletics), Community/volunteer activities, School related extracurricular activities, Church youth group, or Part-time employment. Financial need may also be considered.Apr. 28 - Friendship Memorial Scholarship - Only available to college-bound (2 or 4 yr. college/university/trade school) graduating Newfane seniors.
May:May 1 - Newfane American Legion Lester Oakes Memorial Scholarship - $500 award for a Newfane HS graduating senior (or is home instructed) and must be college-bound (2 or 4 yr. college, trade or technical school). Must be a child of a current, or former, service member of the U.S. military (or under legal guardianship of a current or former service member). Must also have at least an 80% average across all high school social studies courses and at least an 85% average in U.S. History or at least an 80% in AP U.S. History. Must also be involved in community service activities.May 1 - Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo Scholarship - Up to $6000 in scholarships available. Must be a permanent resident of WNY, have at least a "C" average (>75%), have been accepted to a nonprofit accredited school for full time undergraduate study. Preference given to Pell eligible students attending school in WNY. (NOTE: Pell eligibility is determined by financial information supplied on your FAFSA financial aid form. Students must upload their financial aid information for this scholarship: SAR report & Award Letter received from the colleges listed on your FAFSA application.)May 2 - Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles Hockey League Gary Hill Memorial Scholarship - Eligibility: The candidate must be a graduating senior in high school. The candidate must be accepted into a two or four-year college. The candidate must have participated in Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles Hockey League for a minimum of five years (Spring League not included). You do not have to be in midgets to be eligible.May 4- Vietnam Veterans of America Niagara County Chapter 2022 Scholarship - Two $500 scholarships to eligible students who are a relative to a Vietnam Veteran. Must also be a college-bound senior student from a Niagara County high school.May 6 - American Legion Michael J. Kogutek Scholarship - Two $1500 scholarships to students or veterans attending college in 2022. Scholarships will be awarded based on veteran status (including family members), financial need, scholastic ability, realistic goals, extra-curricular activities, and community involvement. Must show proof of acceptance at an accredited college or university prior to receiving the scholarship. If unable to download from the provided link, the scholarship application is also available at: eriecountyal.org.May 7 - Newfane Youth Football & Cheerleading Scholarship - Two $200 scholarships available to graduating seniors planning on attending a 2 or 4 yr. college. Must have played, or cheered, in the Newfane Youth Football or Cheerleading organization for at least one year.May 9 - Newfane PTSA Scholarship - This scholarship (a total of $3000) is open to any Newfane High School graduating senior* who is a current PTSA member planning to continue their education at a two or four year college, trade school or technical training school. Membership forms are in the High School Main Office or you can join online at https://newfaneptsa.memberhub.store. Proof of enrollment to a school is required prior to receiving the scholarship funds. Financial status and academic achievement are not a factor for applying for this PTSA scholarship. NOTE: If you have trouble accessing the Google Doc., use this Newfane PTSA Scholarship pdf.May 10 - Kiwanis Club of Northern Niagara County Scholarship - Must be a graduating senior who plans on furthering their education.May 12 - Newfane Lions Club Scholarship - Two $1000 scholarships will be awarded! Must be a senior student residing in the Newfane Central School District. Must be involved in community service activities. There is no application form for this scholarship. The applicant needs to include their activities into written form (see download for specific information/requirements). An essay and recommendation letters are also required. NOTE: Selection is NOT based on GPA, academic grades or class rank (in fact, inclusion of GPA, course grades, or class rank in any of the documents will disqualify the applicant).May 13 - Newfane American Legion Auxiliary Scholarship - $250 scholarship to a college-bound graduating senior from Newfane High School. Must be involved in community service and activities and be the son/daughter, or grandchild, of a veteran.May 13 (postmarked by) - Kiwanis Club of Niagara-Wheatfield Tom Beachy Memorial Scholarship - Must be a Niagara County college-bound graduating senior who plans to pursue a career in education (includes any area of teaching in the school setting in addition to any special area of instruction like librarian, school counselor, or school psychologist). Must also have a history of community service.May 13 - Newfane Alumni Association Scholarship - Must be a Newfane High School Senior who plans to attend college or an accredited technical/trade school.May 14- NYS Academic Excellence Scholarship - This award is only available to the top 5 ranked senior students (per class ranking at the end of the junior year). The eligible top 5 ranked seniors have already been notified of their selection and were submitted for this award.May 15 - Friends of Unified Sports Scholarship - Monetary awards available to both senior general education students who have participated in the Unified Sports League (graduating senior partners for bowling or basketball) or for any of the athletes, who may be seniors or ungraded but will be not returning next year.May 16- Kevin Newton Memorial Baseball Scholarship - $500 scholarship for a graduating senior from Newfane High School. Must have played baseball for at least two years. Must be attending a 2 or 4 year college or an accredited technical or trade school.May 16 - Delta Kappa Gamma Award - The Alpha Theta Chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma Society International will give an award of $500 to a young woman who will be graduating from high school in June 2022. The award is to be made on the basis of scholarship, activities and a desire to earn a college degree in the teaching field.Criteria:-A female in her senior year who has been accepted at a four- year institution with a goal of entering the teaching profession.
- Must be a full time student for the upcoming fall semester.
- Minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 (4.0 scale) required (> 80% on a 100 point scale)
- Applicant must submit proof of acceptance and include anticipated field of study
- Applicant must have participated in a High School Sport
-Applicants should have a cumulative average of 85% or better.
-Applicants should have participated in a variety of school and/or community activities.
-The selection will be made by the Alpha Theta Professional Affairs Committee.
-Notification will be made before May 28, 2022.May 20 - Newfane Class of 1970 Memorial Scholarship - $500 scholarship made available to a graduating Newfane High School senior in honor of the classmates who are no longer with us. Scholarship must be used to attend college or an accredited technical/trade school.May 20 EXTENDED TO MAY 31- Newfane Sports Boosters Scholarship - All Newfane High School college-bound (college/university/technology schools) seniors. Two $250 awards will be awarded: one each for a male and a female. Selection is based on student participation in athletics, leadership in school and community, essay, and academic record.May 20 - Newfane Teachers Association Newfane HS Senior Scholarship - The Newfane Teachers Association Scholarship of $1,000 is awarded to a graduating senior student from
Newfane High School who has been involved in school and/or community activities, and has at least a B average (80% or greater).
-Submit proof of acceptance to college or university (2 or 4 year) or a vocational/trade school
-Submit this application with a typed essay to the scholarship committee
-Submit 1 letter of recommendation from a Newfane teacherMay 20 - Newfane Teachers Association (NTA) Scholarship for a Child of an NTA Member - The Newfane Teachers Association Scholarship of $1,000 is awarded to a graduating senior of an NTA
member (a parent is a member of the NTA) who has been involved in school and/or community activities, and has at least a B average (80% or greater).
-Submit proof of acceptance to college or university (2 or 4 year) or a vocational/trade school
-Submit this application with a typed essay to the scholarship committee
-Submit 1 letter of recommendation from a teacher from the district you are currently attendingMay 31 - PB & J Scholarship - The PB&J Scholarship is for students who have experienced personal challenges that may not have allowed them to perform well academically, but who still have the drive to succeed. Examples of personal challenges include, but are not limited to:
- medical issues
- peer issues: bullying, change of school, minority status, etc.
- family issues: divorce, death, lack of income, homelessness, foster care, abuse, etc.
When in doubt, students are encouraged to apply; this scholarship is meant to be inclusive.EXTENDED TO MAY 31- Newfane Sports Boosters Scholarship - All Newfane High School college-bound (college/university/technology schools) seniors. Two $250 awards will be awarded: one each for a male and a female. Selection is based on student participation in athletics, leadership in school and community, essay, and academic record.
June:June 6 - Olcott Yacht Club Junior Sailing Scholarship - Scholarship available to students aged 7 to 18 years old. Recipients will be able to participate in summer sailing sessions which emphasizes fun, safety, sportsmanship, cooperation and competition in the sport of sailing.