MIDDLE SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATION
The mission of Newfane Middle School Physical Education is to provide students with a safe and friendly environment in which all students have an opportunity to engage in active play. Middle School students should have a basic knowledge of individual and team sport, including, but not limited to proper skill execution, sportsmanship, cooperation and teamwork. In addition students will develop a responsibility for self, compassion for others, and respect for equipment by interacting in a variety of play experiences. STUDENT EXPECTATIONS
- All students are required to change clothes for physical education class. Clothes should be different from “school clothes”. T-shirt, shorts, sweatpants, white socks, deodorant, sweatshirt, and athletic sneakers are acceptable for class. These items should be kept in a PE locker secured with a combination lock.
All students are given the opportunity to share a PE locker with class members (same gender). Unfortunately we do not have enough lockers for all students to have their own PE locker, but we ask that students bring a combination lock to secure clothes (boys-3 to a locker & girls- 2 to a locker). We do NOT encourage bringing valuables to class and would recommend that any valuable be secured in a locked locker. School locks will be available for rent at $5.00per lock. At the end of the school year when the school lock is returned without damage the rental money of $5.00 will be returned to that student. All students are expected to be on time for class. Students will be deducted points for chronic lateness.
- Students must address teacher(s) in a respectful manner, in addition to classmates and PE equipment.
- Students are expected to participate to the best of their ability during all play activity.
A. Students can earn a maximum of four points per PE class
· 4 = Exemplary performance
· 3 = Average performance
· 2 = Below average performance
1 = Poor effort
B.) A numerical grade will be given each quarter
A quarterly grade will be determined based on the 4,3,2,1 rubric/guideline and the number of classes participated
· To pass PE a student must earn a minimum 65% over the course of four quarters
C.) Students will be graded only when participating in class. They will not be deducted for the following events:
· Absent from school, unless its chronic and does not allow enough evaluation of student in activity and is considered an illegal absence
· Medical excuse from a doctor, temporary parent excused note (1wk max)
· Field trip (school related)
Band lessons, chorus rehearsal
· State testing